Sunday, July 10, 2011

Downstairs Porch: The Finale!

We finally completed our porch area and I am in love. I beg my husband, kids, neighbors, whoever to come sit down there with me everynight (when it is truely cool and fantastic:). In this post I will show you our new ceiling and our potting bench/turned into the family drink station. The girlies added touches to this project that made it a true family piece!

I didn't take before shots of the ceiling, but imagine pink and yellow insulation shoved up into beams. Not attractive! My husband and our talented friend hung large sheets of wood over the exposed insulation. Our friend even helped install a ceiling fan, adding a breeze to our area. Here is a shot before paneling and wood stain.


Chris then added strips to cover the seams and stained (yes upside down, probably should have stained first, everything moved quickly~)the wood the same color as our new bar. I love it!



Next up, the family drinking station.....well, the BAR! This project is special to me because: a)the potting bench was an anniversary gift to me several years ago from the hubby b) I have been wanting to turn it into a bar since I received it c) I learned how to use a sewing machine for this project (via You Tube videos) and d) the finishing pendant banner was made by my daughter at camp.

First, my husband pressure washed the bench to get is super clean. I sanded it and applied the first coat of wood stain. I sanded one more time before applying second coat. My husband then cut a sheet of metal flashing (Home Depot) down to size and nailed it on back for the cool backsplash.

The naked potting bench

Cabot Oil, Jarah Brown, two coats

Chris attaching the flashing for backsplash.

Next was the super exciting part, learning to sew. My younger daughter and I jumped on You Tube and learned how to thread the bobbin and machine. With my newly acquired skill I made little curtains to go around the bottom. They were made from a $4.88 tablecloth from Walmart. My husband hung cafe rods around the perimeter. We bought our ice bucket at Ace Hardware. And the sweet little family pendant was compliments of my oldest child. I love how it all turned out! Here are some pics!


Hook on side holds a towel to wipe cold drinks or a bottle opener, depending on party attendees:)!


My table cloth curtains conceals are outdoor junk!

Beverage tray, I painted an old tray with the green acrylic I used for lamp and rug, Citron Green.

Ice bucket holds Cokes, water, juice boxes, beer...whatever.


One final shot!!! And I think our downstairs porch is complete...for now!


Boogieboard Cottage









UndertheTableandDreaming



Tip Junkie handmade projects

Furniture Feature Fridays

21 comments:

  1. I like it- looks like it will be perfect for entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your beverage bar, it turned out really cute-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great bar! I love the flashing - what a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,
    I am follower 33, for many reasons. I have for sometime thought about what you did with the potting bench, I'm just waiting to fine one at a sale. Also what you blogged about your husband so nice, and last but not least my son went to E.T.S.U. for two years before transferring closer to home. I think your neck of the woods are just gorgeous.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Perfect for outdoors. I love the stripped fabric! Great job!
    http://mallicious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a cute bar area! I love it! The little towel hanging from it is adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great project! That's funny that right from the start you wanted it to be a bar :) Fabric and backsplash are perfect! Thanks for stopping by my blog . . . you're set up as a 'no-reply blogger' so I couldn't email you back but I appreciate you stopping by! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the finished ceiling and your bevrage bar is so clever! Thanks for visiting and your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great little bar area. I really like the flashing on the back and bunting across the front.

    I found you through the Tip Me Tuesday link party and am your newest follower. Come check me out, too, if you're interested @ Carissa's Creativity Space

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for leaving your comment on my blog today. I appreciate it. Your beverage center is really cute and certainly adds to your porch. You have a nice spot to stay cool in the hot summertime! Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! What a wonderful way of taking something that you already had and making it into something that you love! I would love to have one of these for my back deck....where we spend a lot of time. Brilliant! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. when can i come over to bbq- what a fun space you have created! love the bar and how it is decorated! and we just did the SAME thing in our sunporch for the roof and i LOVE it! the look is light and beachy, and it was inexpensive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so great. I bet you'll have so much fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it!! So beautiful!! I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I am a new follower! I would love love love if you would link this up to my Delicately Constructed linky party!
    I hope you have a fabulous weekend and I see you around soon!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is genius! And I think I need one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job! You wouldn't have to beg me to spend time on that porch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job Beth...now that you have figured out that sewing machine you will always have a project. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. beth-this "drinking station" :) is so AWESOME! i love it and want one on my porch! (so now you can teach me to sew right? :) love the curtains and the pennant banner is the perfect touch! hope you guys are having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea!!! How can I get my husband to do this for me!!!
    Would love for you to stop by and share this at the Tuesday To Do Party if you get a chance!
    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/07/tuesday-to-do-19-18-list-makers.html
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good decision installing a ceiling fan on your porch. That will surely add good fresh air that will keep you cool. Does it have a light fixture in it? If none, I think you could add it to provide more lighting to the porch, especially at night. What do you think? Isn’t it a good idea? ->Brooklyn Fan & Blower Sales Company

    ReplyDelete